Monday, December 19, 2011

An Open Letter to my Children

Autumn, Kody, Carson & Kit,

     Times are a changin’ kids.  I am at the same time optimistic and spooked.  For the first time in a long time I feel that the “environment” is right for the People of our country to begin to reassert that which is right, by restoring Constitutional government and, consequently, an increased measure of Liberty.  As you know I have struggled a long time with fear of the complete overthrow of our US Constitution.  Not by one major coup but rather by the inch by inch encroachment of so called politicians robbing us of our liberty using phrases such as: “It’s for the children,” and, “In the name of public safety…,” and, “due to terrorism we need to be able to snatch and grab and detain even American citizens as long as we want without charges pressed…,” “spy on our citizens’ bank accounts etc…”

     However with election of our current president a great awakening is occurring that is sweeping across the land.  In this awakening the People are beginning to search for the truth.  They are beginning to ask hard questions of the politicians who have been robbing the People of their Liberty.  Questions like, “just how far can the Feds go under the so called authority of the “commerce clause?”  “What does the phrase, “shall not be infringed” mean?  Who is watching the so called “watchers” to see that they are doing right?  Does the government really have the authority under Article 1, Section 8, to tell me what kind of bulbs I can use, what I can eat, or drink? Questioning authority is becoming a national pastime.  That, kiddos, is good thing.

     I can remember as a kid some of the comments about World War II when the big “excuse” for killing people by the millions in Nazi Germany was, “I was just following orders.”  Many of our police officers are in the same boat.  Well, not killing people, but many of the laws they enforce are blatantly unconstitutional.  These are police officers who take an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.  On the good side, I see a great awakening and possibly some of the “lack of knowledge” is being cleared up as the People begin to do their own research.  Just following orders was no excuse years ago and is no excuse now for enforcing unconstitutional law.

     As you kids know I have been involved in what I call a fight for clarity on certain issues involving Liberty.  I felt that one day you kids would ask me, “What did you do to preserve Liberty in your lifetime for us, Dad?”  As you have seen, I have been joined by many other Liberty loving citizens in an attempt to preserve some measure of Liberty by making the second amendment (2A) clear to our citizens and enforcers as to what the 2A means.   These same People are asking the same questions, “How do I preserve that which I know to be right, in the sight of God, my children, the Founders, and the man in the mirror?

     In Illinois unscrupulous or maybe they were well meaning “do gooders” have perverted our Illinois Constitution by using the words “Subject to the police power…” in the Illinois version of the 2A.  This travesty must be stopped.  I am confident that long term it will be, either by the courts with awakening judges and juries, or by the awakening of the People or hopefully all three.  It is not too hard to understand the term “shall not be infringed.”  Any young person understands it.  It is the old folks and highly educated types who want to rule other People’s lives that have the most difficulty.

     It is my sincere hope that our County law enforcement and other elected officials will recall their oaths and be able to look their kids in the eye and say that they did their part to uphold the oath.  My advice to you is that at all costs you choose Liberty and fight tyranny in any form that you see it.  Remember our Country was founded with the ideal of maximum Liberty and minimal government.  I like Thoreau’s comment, “That government governs best which governs least.”

Love, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment